Hectorol (doxercalciferol capsules and injection) is indicated for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients with Stage 3 or Stage 4 chronic kidney disease (capsules) and in patients with chronic kidney disease on dialysis (capsules and injection).
Important Safety Information
- You should not take Hectorol if you have a history of abnormally high calcium blood levels (hypercalcemia) or if you have very high vitamin D levels
- Overdosage of any form of vitamin D is dangerous
- Before taking Hectorol, tell your doctor if you have ever had an irregular heartbeat or seizure, or if you are taking any digitalis drugs
- Do not take other vitamin D related drugs if you are currently taking Hectorol
- It is important for anyone taking Hectorol to talk to their doctor before taking any non-prescription drugs or magnesium-containing antacids, and to adhere to instructions about following a low phosphorus diet and calcium supplementation
- One of the main side effects of treatment with Hectorol is hypercalcemia
- Tell your doctor if you experience symptoms of hypercalcemia, such as nausea, vomiting, constipation, loss of appetite, and increased thirst
- Common side effects seen in Hectorol-treated patients not on dialysis (pre-dialysis) were infection, chest pain, constipation, indigestion, anemia, dehydration, depression, muscle tension, sleeplessness, tingling sensation, increased cough, shortness of breath, and runny nose
- Common side effects seen in Hectorol-treated patients on dialysis were headache, ill feeling, slow heartbeat, nausea/vomiting, swelling, dizziness, shortness of breath, and itching
- Hectorol is available by prescription only
- See Hectorol Capsules Full Prescribing Information or Hectorol Injection Full Prescribing Information or call Genzyme Medical Information at 1-800-847-0069.